History Of The Practice
Knock Medical Centre started in 1928 by Dr Fred Halliday, at 374 Beersbridge Road in East Belfast.
At that time, people were either "Panel Patients" (a consequence of the 1911 National Insurance Act which provided compulsory pre-paid Health and Medical insurance for employees below certain agreed low wages) or "Private Patients".
In 1932 Dr Fred Halliday was joined by his brother Dr John Halliday.
Many people in East Belfast were moving out to Dundonald, and a branch surgery to facilitate them opened at 497 Upper Newtownards Road - This was Dr Fred's home.
The NHS started in July 1948. In the early 50's this branch surgery moved to 503 Upper Newtownards Road. This branch was closed in the late 70's, when Cherryvalley Health Centre replaced it and Holywood Arches Health Centre replaced the main Beersbridge surgery.
Since then the doctor's working at Cherryvalley Health Centre moved in to the present purpose built premises at 423b Upper Newtownards Road - Knock Medical Centre in December 2006.
Our current doctor's joined the practice:
- Dr Joseph McCann in 2004
- Dr Ellen Geddis in 2009
- Dr James Crothers in 2013
- Dr McMenamin in 2021